When you say Managed Print Services (MPS), many people have a different idea of what MPS is – a contract for printer repair service and supplies, a click charge per page, outsourced printing, and other descriptions will possibly come to mind. Some industry consultants define MPS as “proactively managing and optimizing your printing and imaging devices and related business processes.” Still not sure exactly what MPS is, or why it’s something you need to make a priority? We will try to answer some of these questions below.
For most organizations, controlling costs to maintain profitability continues to be a primary objective. A properly implemented MPS solution can provide cost visibility into an area that is often overlooked and results in unnecessary waste to your bottom line.
In working with our clients, we have found that considering some of the questions below will start to give you an idea of the issues MPS can resolve and how some organizations are seeing savings of up to 30% by working with an experienced partner to manage their printing and imaging environment:
- Do you know what you currently spend on printing and imaging? Hardware? Software? Service? Support? Supplies?
- Do you know how many devices (printers, copiers, MFPs) you have?
- Do you know how many pages they are printing?
- Do you know how much time your IT staff spends on printer-related issues?
- Do you know how many helpdesk calls are printer-related?
- Do you have a printer refresh schedule?
- Do you monitor how the devices are used?
- Can you determine if your devices are being utilized efficiently?
- Do you have consistent service response across all locations?
- If a device goes down, how long does it typically take before it is back up and running?
- Do you receive many printer-related end user complaints?
- Do you have any green initiatives?
- Is your printing and imaging fleet optimized to reduce energy and paper consumption?
- How are you addressing document and device security issues? Do you have to adhere to any regulatory compliance requirements like HIPAA or Sarbanes Oxley?
- Have you upgraded to Windows 7 or are you planning to upgrade? Do you know the impact that upgrade can have on your printer fleet?
- How are you addressing mobile print requirements? Do you have a mobile print strategy?
Flo-Tech has conducted hundreds of MPS assessments and implemented our proven MPS program across a wide range of customer environments – from networks with 25 devices to environments with 1000’s of devices. The cost of doing nothing can be more significant than you think. For every day you delay, how much is it costing you?
Consider these statistics courtesy of Photizio Group, IDC and Gartner Group:
- Companies spend up to 5% of revenues on document output.
- The typical office employee prints roughly 60 pages a day or 12,000 sheets a year.
- 90% of companies have no idea how many devices they have or if they are being properly utilized.
- For a company with 750 employees, 3700 IT hours are spent each year supporting printers. That’s roughly 5 hours per employee.
- 23% of all IT Helpdesk calls are printer related.
- 95% of all companies do not have a printer refresh schedule.
- Cost savings of between 30% and 50%, as well as significant environmental savings can be realized with a properly implemented Managed Print Services Program.
Still have questions? We would like to hear from you.